3 simple ways to manage type 2 diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease, and there is no cure for it. If you have diabetes, you need to manage the condition for life. Effective type 2 diabetes treatment consists of several steps. Your doctor may ask you to make some dietary and lifestyle changes and also prescribe some diabetes medications.
Tips to manage type 2 diabetes
It is not possible to manage type 2 diabetes through medications alone. Any effective treatment for type 2 diabetes will include a diet and exercise plan and possibly some medicines.
A healthy diet is important for people with diabetes to help them control their blood sugar levels. Your doctor or a registered dietitian can help you formulate the ideal diet plan as per your needs. Every diet plan will have some of the following common features:
- Eat more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Eat meat, fatty foods, salty foods, sweets and processed foods in moderation.
- Eat on schedule.
Consult with your doctor about the type of cardiovascular activities you can do.
- A combination of different exercises such as aerobic activities and resistance training can be more effective than just choosing to do any one type of physical activity. Try walking/jogging/cycling with stretching, yoga, and weightlifting. You don’t need to do all in the same day.
- Exercise or any physical activity can lower blood sugar. If you take any medicine to lower your blood sugar, it may be a good idea for you to eat a light snack before your workout.
Not everyone with type 2 diabetes requires medicines. Your doctor will prescribe insulin therapy or medicines depending on your health needs.
- Your type 2 diabetes treatment may begin with medicines to help your body use insulin effectively. Other medications can help your pancreas produce more insulin or lower blood sugar levels.
- Some people with diabetes may also require insulin therapy. Your doctor may prescribe one or more types of insulin to be injected as needed.
Another important aspect of type 2 diabetes management is to monitor your blood sugar levels regularly. Your doctor can recommend how and when to do so depending on your health needs. With time, you may not even require any medication.