5 popular ways to prevent lung cancer
According to the recent statistics issued by the World Health Organization, lung cancer is believed to be among the top causes of fatalities across the world. While this is true, it is also true that this is one of the most easily preventable types of cancer. Keeping a close watch on daily routines and making some simple lifestyle changes can keep this dreadful disease at bay. Here are the five popular ways that are considered to be the most effective when it comes to preventing the lung cancer. As already stated here, lung cancer, though very dangerous, can be prevented by minimizing the risks that cause the disease. Given below are 5 tips which can help you protect yourself from the disease.
As already stated here, lung cancer, though very dangerous, can be prevented by minimizing the risks that cause the disease. Given below are 5 tips which can help protect from the disease.
- Say no to smoking: Among the various causes of lung cancer, smoking accounts for about 87% of casualties. Thus, quitting smoking is an essential habit to prevent this disease.
- Passive smoking can be dangerous too: Not just smokers, people who are close to smokers can also be at an increased risk of lung cancer as the smoke that is emitted out of cigarettes is known to contain about 60 known carcinogens that can interfere with normal cell development.
- Eat more of natural fruits and vegetables: Fruits and vegetables contain a lot of anti-oxidants and flavonoids. These elements help in protecting the cell’s DNA as well as help in repairing the damaged cells of the body.
- Check the levels of radon in your home: Not many people are aware that this could be a major risk factor for lung cancer. Radon is an inert gas that does not make its presence evident. With more and more houses being built over uranium deposits, there is an increased risk of the presence of radon gas in your home. Inhaling this can increase your risks of acquiring lung cancer.
- Regular medical screening: Whether you are prone to lung cancer or not, getting yourself medically examined regularly along with taking preventive care will help to reduce the risk factor of lung cancer. If there are any defective cells identified, doctors can take necessary action to prevent them from becoming cancerous.
Lung cancer accounts for more than a million deaths annually. Preventive care is best when it comes to dealing with this fatal ailment. Understand your risk factors and take the necessary steps as mentioned above to reduce your risks of being afflicted with lung cancer.