Ways to take care of your nails
It is essential to keep your nails healthy. Even a cut in the cuticle can lead to infections. Without a healthy diet, ridges can appear on your nails. Poor hygiene can lead to discolored nails. However, good nail care isn’t time-consuming and doesn’t cost too much.
Consider these simple tips to protect your nails and keep them healthy.
- Always keep your nails dry. Use protective gloves when doing the dishes or any chores that require extended contact with water or when using chemicals such as cleaning solutions.
- Use a gentle soap and a nail brush to clean them every once in a while.
- Moisturizing is essential for healthier cuticles. Always rub a lotion into your fingers and nails after washing them and at night.
- Keep your nails trimmed and short; at least most of the time.
- Always use quality nail polishes. Harsh chemicals can cause yellowing of the nails. Use acetone-free solutions to remove nail polish. Apply top coat and base coat for better protection of your nails.
- Keep your home manicure/pedicure kits clean. Sanitize and dry them after every use. Also, don’t share your tools with others.
- Employ healthy nail care habits. Refrain from biting your nails. Don’t pick or chew on your cuticles. Don’t pull or rip your hangnails. Use clippers to cut them gently.
- Give your nails a break now and then from nail polishes. Overuse of nail polish can weaken your nails and cause discoloration. Limit your indulgence of acrylic nail treatments.
- Eat a good diet to keep your nails healthy. If your diet lacks in protein or essential nutrients, it will also affect the appearance of your nails. To avoid weak nails, dents on the nails and other problems, eat a diet rich in protein, vitamins A, E and B (especially biotin), iron and zinc. Some good sources of these nutrients are eggs, salmon, almonds, seeds (sunflower, sesame, pumpkin), whole grains, fruits and green vegetables.
- See a doctor if your nails have lots of ridges and discoloration.
With these simple habits, you can ensure your nails are healthy and stronger.