10 things to do when you have psoriatic arthritis
Psoriatic arthritis is a severe form of arthritis, which can quickly affect people with psoriasis. It is a challenge to manage the pain and to deal with the daily discomfort of the body. But you should not allow it to pull you down.
Here are a few things that you can do yourself to fight the signs of psoriatic arthritis and live your life to the fullest.
- Educate yourself on psoriatic arthritis signs and symptoms to know what to expect and to be prepared with the best solutions.
- Maintain regular physical activity and exercises. Simple activities like walking, riding a bike and swimming can help you deal with most arthritis symptoms.
- Providing your body with proper nutrition to fight this autoimmune disease is the best thing that you can do. Avoid junk food to prevent putting on weight as it may stress your joints further.
- Consumption of alcohol can aggravate arthritis symptoms and also interfere with the effectiveness of medications. It is recommended to reduce the intake of alcohol if you want to fight psoriatic arthritis efficiently.
- As it can affect the lungs, it is advisable to quit smoking and allow your body to defend itself against signs of psoriatic arthritis in a better manner.
- Manage your mental and physical stress levels as arthritis symptoms include flares ups, which can erupt due to extreme stress.
- Taking care of your skin is an important part as psoriatic arthritis. You should always keep your skin well hydrated and moisturized.
- Many doctors also suggest phototherapy to cure psoriatic arthritis symptoms as they help the skin as well as the joints.
- It is always advisable to wash your clothes separately with mild detergent and fabric softener with antibacterial properties to reduce the risk of skin infections.
- It is beneficial to wear loose fitting, lightweight clothes made from fabrics like cotton or linen to prevent irritation on the skin.
Living with psoriatic arthritis may be a challenge, but it can be fought with perseverance.